OT: Programming in C

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Tue Apr 8 16:29:00 UTC 2008

max wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:25:34PM -0400, max bianco wrote:
>>> I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
>>> list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
>>> exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
>>> over everything from scratch.  So if I could get some referrals to a
>>> couple of books I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for a good
>>> thorough beginners guide to C and also something for the intermediate
>>> programmer as I expect to get through the former in fairly short
>>> order. I ultimately will be directing my efforts at kernel hacking. As
>>> always , any advice and or opinion is gratefully received.
>>>
>>> Max

I can't recall if I've seen these already mentioned here or not.  My
apologies if I'm repeating.  I've never been a big C programmer, but I
did latch on to a couple of books I thought worked well:

Programming in C (Stephen G. Kochan from Hayden Books (Sams))
The C Primer (Les Hancock/Morris Krieger from McGraw-Hill)

My copies of these are from the mid 80's, so I don't know if they are
still published.  For reference I go with a lot of the O'Reilly books.
I have the "Practical C Programming" book and the C++ version too.  I
thought they read well, but then I used to read (Air Force) tech orders
for fun when I was bored.  I'm not exactly what most folks consider
normal 8^)
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org
voice: +1.970.242.3331 ext 116
   fax: +1.970.245.7854