OT: Programming in C

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Apr 8 19:27:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, Apr 8th 2008 at 13:39 -0000, quoth Les:

=>On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 09:39 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
=>> max bianco wrote:
=>> > I want to learn C and I know there are quite a few programmers on this
=>> > list.  I am looking for a couple of good books on learning C. I am not
=>> > exactly a beginner but I am no expert and i would like to start going
=>> > over everything from scratch.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the majority of C coders out
there, no matter how good they are, never really master the ability to
composed and decompose complex declarations and references. I don't say
this in a perjorative fashion, but I see it a lot and it's important to be
able to distinguish between an array of pointers to integers and a pointer
to an array of integers, i.e.,

int *foo[10];
int (*foo)[10];

Going through K&R is standard, but this is a basic complaint I've had for
a long time.

steveo at syslang.net