Thank you, unknown genius!

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Apr 8 22:28:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:15:39 -0700
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> I believe that you can select all packages within each group which makes
> it relatively simple to get that big honking install that you crave.

One highly underdocumented feature of the installer is that within
each major chunk of packages (the column on the left side of the screen),
you can select all the sub-chunks over on the right side, then right
click the mouse and pick "select all optional package"

So you can get "everything" with only a moderate number of mouse clicks
(I haven't discovered any way to do it with the keyboard, which is a
pain in the patoot in a Xen virtual machine install with the flakey
mouse tracking).

If "select all optional packages" is a valid thing to do, I have no
idea why there isn't a button labeled "OK, pretend I went through everything
manually and clicked on select all optional packages" :-).