Punch cards

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 9 01:16:32 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> didn't expect - if you ground one side or the other of a floating

Les:
> Most likely you have 60Hz pickup.  Since the transformer is not
> grounded, it is a great 60 hz inductor, but the ungrounded balanced
> condition makes it common mode so no response on the VU meter.
> Grounding one side adds 60hz becuase it is no longer common mode.  Try
> the Oscilloscope on it.

I'd already done that, no mains on it at all.  This desk buried the
output transformers into the middle of the chassis, to get them as far
away as possible from outside interference, and has an external power
supply.

I can see some experimenting coming in with any spare audio transformers
I've got kicking around.

Many years ago, back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I
just couldn't resist putting a 240 V to 6 V power transformer backwards
on the output of my oscillator (stepping up the output), just to see
what it could do.  Partially inspired by the story at college how
someone had a done a frequency response test on a captured spider, back
when they had valve oscillators that could output about 100 Volts...

Instant torture device.  Strange how some frequencies really hurt, and
others are hardly noticeable.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.