Thank you, unknown genius!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 01:33:07 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 14:56 -0600, Anton Solovyev wrote:
>> For removing the "Install Everything" option from Fedora Core 8
>> installation.
>
> For what it's worth, it never installed "everything," not even
> everything that came on your install disc, never mind all the things
> that you can install over the net that were never on the install disc
> for size, or later addition, reasons.  Some things were always omitted,
> and had to be.  Having an everything option was misleading, and
> generally a bad idea for a lot of people.

I always took "everything" to mean everything that a person very
familiar with the distribution would suggest for someone who wasn't, and
its removal makes the choices particularly difficult for someone who
wouldn't know ahead of time what they'll need.

> You'll strike the same problem elsewhere.  There will be things that
> conflict, so you can't really install everything.

"Everything" doesn't mean everything in the world.  It should mean
everything you are likely to need if you don't know better yourself.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com