Punch cards

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Wed Apr 9 23:11:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 00:30 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 15:03 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > I don't have a problem with digital- best thing since sliced
> > bread for me.
>
> Some people are just lucky.  Many more are not.
>
> One of the things I did while training was a bit of work in a TV set
> repair shop.  A great deal of their customers have rotten reception,
> many of which will not do anything about it, and berated the staff for
> not fixing their telly.  And there's plenty more that can't do anything
> about it, because they're located in a reception shadow.  They had a map
> on the wall shaded in different ways for different reception problem
> areas, with a legend for the antennas needed to work in some locations,
> and also some rather large blackspots where there was no solution.
>
> > In fact I have trouble with analogue because I use a tv
> > server- the adc doesn't work as efficiently, whereas digital is
> > already mpeg.
>
> Though is it in the format that you need?  It certainly won't be if you
> wanted to record to a standard DVD that you could take around and watch
> at a mate's place.
>
> *Conversions* have been really annoying me over the last few days.  I've
> spent about 8 hours copying someone's Super 8 film collection to video,
> and some 16 mm, watching the original film quality disappear.  Then had
> to deal with the issues of recording onto a DVD recorder (which isn't
> compatible with all players), and having to convert that into another
> disc that ought to work on all players.

As long as its compact and quick enough to get on the hdd I'm happy. I
actually want h.264, but that requires either HD or a quick conversion
on any PC I choose. No biggy...

If I were to take it around to a mates (not likely with my setup- much
better...) I'd take the laptop and use the tv out or something like
that- take too much time to create the dvd.