NetworkManager - similar hassle , anyone ?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 13:46:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:35:48PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> > On my rawhide box (static IP) I found NM on and NMDispatcher off was the
> > best.
>
> What exactly are the functions of these two services?
> I've always assumed NM required NMDispatcher,
> and I didn't understand why NM didn't start the Dispatcher itself.
>
> It's annoying the name NetworkManagerDispatcher is so long, too.

NetworkManagerDispatcher runs scripts in
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d when interfaces go up and down.
See 'man NetworkManagerDispatcher' for details.  If NM is off,
I doubt if NMDispatcher does anything at all.

I don't think NM supports static IP in F8.  I don't know if it does
in rawhide or not, but I know that is a planned feature.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com