'ls' hangs FC6

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Thu Apr 10 15:09:44 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> Both colorizing the names based on the file type and getting the
>>> file metadata for a long listing require reading each file's inode,
>>> whereas 'ls' showing only the name requires only reading the
>>> directory data.
>>
>> If that's the case then "ls -l" should also hang. Does it?
>>
>> poc
>>

> ls -l /does/ hang in those cases, /with/ and /without/ the color
> option.  However, the hang is different.  With ls --color=tty the hang
> locks the entire ssh session.  Whereas I can CTRL+C out of the ls -l
> hang.
>
> So you think this is inode/disk related?

I remember something like this happening some years ago to me, and I
think it was my terminal settings ?

Can you run screen, then issue the same command and see if that fixes
the problem ?

Another idea, if you're using NFS and your wsize/rsize are not correct
(check with tracepath) could cause hangs like this.

Albert.