some attack to fedora machine .

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 11 15:13:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 02:06 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:53:35 +0100
> Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > you can usually recover a box pretty trivially.
>
> The problem, though, is that you can never really KNOW that everything is back
> in order.  After someone has root and the run of your machine, he can do
> whatever he likes.  You say that you found four exploits installed?  What if
> there's really five?  Or six? Or...
>
> I firmly believe that the only realistic way to deal with an intrusion of that
> nature is a full nuke and re-pave.
>
> --
I'll second that.  Having been rootkitted once, I can tell you that it
is no small matter if the attacker is sophisticated, and desires to do
you great harm.  I finally had to replace the harddrive.  I never did
isolate all the issues, and even formatting didn't seem to put it back
in order.  I have no idea why I was targeted, or if it was a storm that
I got into by some blunder on the keyboard, but my system was hosed (of
course it was Windows).

Regards,
Les H