Problem with sata2 and raid1.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 13:42:04 UTC 2008

I have installed two sata 2 drives - each 250 GB - which I want to use in a
raid1 configuration. My mobo - MSI K8T Neo2 - does not support those sata
drives, so I have therefore installed a RocketRaid 1720 PCI-card to get the
necessary hardware support.

The RocketRaid card came with a linux driver for Fedora 7 which I installed and
with which I have been running raid1 for almost three months. I admit that this
was an error on my part. The driver only installs with one particular kernel and
if you want to compile the driver to a different kernel it does not compile and
the company behind RocketRaid, High Point Technologies, offers no help at all.

I have therefore decided to switch to the software available with Fedora and
would like to know if the data already located on the disks is accessible to the
Fedora driver or if I have to reformat the drives and install all the enchilada
from the beginning? Luckily I have back-up of everything and can recreate all
data it just takes more time. Another even more important question is will
Fedora drive the disks through the RocketRaid controller or should I get
different hardware and if so which?

--
Erik.