fonts on a lcd monitor

lostson lostson at lostsonsvault.org
Sat Apr 12 21:52:48 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 04:19:16 pm Khoa Ton wrote:
> lostson wrote:
> > On Friday 11 April 2008 05:26:03 pm Dean S. Messing wrote:
> >> LostSon wrote:
> >> :  I have recently gotten a 28 inch lcd monitor and fonts are not
> >> : looking as crisp as I would like especially white text on a black
> >> : background in a terminal for instance or with a transparent
> >> : background. I am using a fully updated Fedora 8 install with a nvidia
> >> : 7600GS graphics card using the livna nvidia drivers. The monitor I
> >> : have is a HANNS-G hg281-D. I am looking for suggestions on how to make
> >> : these fonts look better in this situation. I have the option
> >> :
> >> : Option "DPI" "96x96"
> >> :
> >> : set in my xorg.conf as suggested on the fedora forums and that has
> >> : helped as far as the other text on the screen for instance the menu's
> >> : and text in the gui's looks very good its seems to be just light text
> >> : on dark backgrounds, thanks in advance for tips or tricks you may
> >> : have.
> >>
> >> Have you checked that you are running the panel at its native
> >> resolution (1920x1200, I think)? If not, then the card or the panel
> >> has to scale the video data and this will ruin otherwise sharp fonts.
> >>
> >> Dean
> >
> >  Yes I am running at 1920x1200 but the effect is there anyway.
>
> A couple of things to check:
>
> 1) Best image quality is achieved with DVI.  If you're using
>     VGA with this monitor, try to get the best cable, especially
>     for long lengths.
>
> 2) My Acer X241WSD has a similar problem in VGA input.  Though
>     the computer (FC5) is configured for 1920x1200 in xorg.conf,
>     somewhere to the monitor things get stuck on a lower resolution,
>     causing the 1920x1200 image to be downscaled to 1600x1200,
>     thus looking slightly fuzzy.  The 1920x1200 pixels are logically
>     there in X, but the monitor's OSD shows 1600x1200.  Acer's
>     customer support gave the standard Linux not supported line :-(
>
> I'd be interested to know what resolution your monitor's OSD thinks its
> running at.  I haven't found a solution to 2) yet, though...
>
> Khoa

Well the OSD says it is running at 1920x1200 I have had it hooked up via vga
and dvi with a dvi to vga adapter as this monitor has vga component and hdmi
hookups instead of a dvi port. Could it possibly be my seating arrangement i
sit lower and my monitor sits up so i look up at it. When getting closer and
a little bit higher it appears to go away but its hard to work trying to hold
myserlf up, heh.

--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org