Issues with rsyslog with database logging on fedora 8

Dan ml at mutox.org
Sun Apr 13 06:18:42 UTC 2008

Has anyone experienced the following on Fedora 8?

I have rsyslog logging to a PostgreSQL database.

Every Sunday, rsyslog gets into a state where it stops working. This
appears to occur some time after log rotation, and log files are all
empty from about 4am sunday, up until such a time where I restart rsyslog.

In addition, any running applications which have connections to the
/dev/log socket appear to hang until rsyslog is killed off and
restarted. Cron jobs also stop running.

This morning there were a lot of hung sendmail and cron processes, and
probably others. Only once I stopped/killed and then restarted rsyslog
did these processes become unstuck. This is becoming the typical Sunday
procedure with my current rsyslog configuration.

I have also tried various versions of the rsyslog packages from fedora,
with the same results with every package.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Cheers,

Dan