Issues with rsyslog with database logging on fedora 8

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 11:15:15 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008, Dan wrote:
>Has anyone experienced the following on Fedora 8?
>
>I have rsyslog logging to a PostgreSQL database.
>
>Every Sunday, rsyslog gets into a state where it stops working. This
>appears to occur some time after log rotation, and log files are all
>empty from about 4am sunday, up until such a time where I restart rsyslog.
>
>In addition, any running applications which have connections to the
>/dev/log socket appear to hang until rsyslog is killed off and
>restarted. Cron jobs also stop running.
>
>This morning there were a lot of hung sendmail and cron processes, and
>probably others. Only once I stopped/killed and then restarted rsyslog
>did these processes become unstuck. This is becoming the typical Sunday
>procedure with my current rsyslog configuration.
>
>I have also tried various versions of the rsyslog packages from fedora,
>with the same results with every package.
>
>Has anyone seen anything like this?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Dan

I don't have any hung processes but I note that the messages log does seem
incomplete:

[root at coyote ~]# tail -fn40 /var/log/messages
Apr 13 05:09:19 coyote rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="2.0.2" x-pid="1823" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"]
[x-configInfo udpReception="No" udpPort="514" tcpReception="No" tcpPort="0"] restart

Then I restarted it using the service tool:
Apr 13 07:08:49 coyote kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
Apr 13 07:08:49 coyote kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
Apr 13 07:08:50 coyote rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="2.0.2" x-pid="1823" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"]
exiting on signal 15.
Apr 13 07:08:50 coyote rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="2.0.2" x-pid="18316" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"]
[x-configInfo udpReception="No" udpPort="514" tcpReception="No" tcpPort="0"] restart
Apr 13 07:08:50 coyote kernel: rklogd 2.0.2, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

Note the additional rklogd line of this manual restart.  Is this normal?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)