LS-120 drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Apr 14 01:10:40 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I need to wipe some floppies before disposal.   I have a usb LS-120 drive that
> I used to be able to use with linux, but it looks as though the drivers may
> no longer be in the kernel - it is of the vitage of zip drives.  Or maybe I
> just need some extra packages installed?  Can anyone help me get this working
> again?
>
> Anne

If you have a large quantity of the disks, consider using a bulk
tape eraser, if you have one, or a magnet if you do not. It is much
faster, and does a better job. The erase heads on a disk drive are
not as wide as the write head, so you leave recoverable data behind.
(Something about not damaging adjacent tracks.)

Mikkel