howto list all non-rpm installed files on system

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Mon Apr 14 02:35:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Steve Siegfried <sos at zjod.net> wrote:

>  Yeah, one-liners can be nice.  However, assuming you've got 37,000 files on your
>  system (which isn't really an unreasonable assumption), then your one-liner ends
>  up exec'ing rpm 37,000 times.  Even if most of the rpm invocations come from disk
>  cache (and on a "quiet" production system, they will), the pace will be glacial.

It will be slow no matter what. If the purpose is to back up
useful/modified files, rather than trying to track down suspicious
files, you could speed it up by narrowing the range of the find, maybe
just /etc (maybe also exclude /etc/init.d). Of course, then you might
miss some config file from some rpm the doesn't keep config info in
/etc.

>  Note also that your one-liner doesn't satisfy condition 1, either.
>  David Timms wrote:
>  > Anybody got some good ideas for listing every file on disk that is:
>  > 1. modified from default rpm install {eg config files}

rpm -qaVV

>  > 2. not installed by any rpm

find <disk> -type f -print|grep -v  '^/proc/' |while read file; do rpm -qf
"$file" >/dev/null || echo "$file"; done

> 3. is a config file for a service - eg. web server /etc/httpd/conf.d/
> and so on
> 4. is user data, config, files.

3 & 4 seem redundant or I just don't understand what OP wants. That
is, config files and user files will either not be delivered as part
of an rpm or will have been modified from the rpm version, or will be
the default rpm version. Non-rpm files and modified rpm files files
will show up with the two above commands. Don't think OP really cares
about config files that have not been modified. I suppose a package
could change so that the default was no good, but OP could just
download the old package and extract the old config, no need for a
backup at least in principle.

Quick & dirty - just back up all of /etc. I do have a nagging
suspicion that some packages might try to put some config info in /usr
or /var. But it isn't very fedora-ish, I am probably thinking of some
app I had to compile from source.

Dave