Samba won't dance (more info)

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Apr 14 20:43:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:25 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday April 14 2008 4:04:39 pm Craig White wrote:
> > I'm sure Fedora can and will do that but you have to figure
> > out why it's not doing that.
> >

> Yes, but it doesn't do it out of the box - never has since FC1
> which is where I started
>
> > WINS requires broadcasts...
> >
> > so if all your systems are on 192.168.2.0 network and they all
> > have a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, and they are not blocking
> > broadcast or NETBIOS ports (137, 138, 139 & 445) by virtue of
> > a firewall it all should work as planned.
> >

> All the above conditions are met. The PCLinuxOS disk is on a
> computer that's getting its address from the same router as all
> the other machines. It's coming up on livecd practically
> working - I only had to tell it what NIC to use to find the
> network connection.
>
> > The broadcast address for 192.168.2.0 / subnet mask
> > 255.255.255.0 is 192.168.2.255
> >

> Yes, I do know this
>
> > If your Fedora box is on a different network, a different
> > subnet mask or the firewall blocks one of those ports, all
> > bets are off.
>
> The Fedora box is not on a different network, that's the whole
> point of my PCLinuxOS experiment -- subnet masks are also the
> same, and though the firewall on the Fedora box is correctly
> configured, I also turned it off completely to make sure it
> wasn't the cuprit. I also found selinux messages related to smb
> and nmb traffic being blocked, and tried running the suggested
> remedy-commands AND, subsequently, putting selinux in permissive
> mode, but to no avail.
>
> Fedora's Samba implementation is no two-stepper...
>
> But, I want to understand why -- if there's a reason it has to be
> this way, so be it, but I'm on a mission to figure out what
> causes the problem, in great detail, so I can just fix it
> without having to resort to the triad (google, man, list) in the
> future...
----
Claude,

There is no known issue with samba on Fedora for this to occur.

I'm sure it's a configuration issue, whether it's 'hosts allow' setting
in smb.conf or network misconfiguration or firewall setting or ???

try this...

nmblookup -M WORKGROUP -d 10

as this should get a list of systems from the master browser from the
broadcast address at maximum log level

Craig