Samba won't dance

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 03:49:41 UTC 2008

On Mon April 14 2008, David Timms wrote:
> > On Monday April 14 2008 5:33:02 pm Tom Horsley wrote:
> >> Ever since then I've just copied in the old smb.conf file, and
> >> I continue to have no problems. I just hope it works the same
> >> on fedora 9 when I upgrade...
> >
> > I have been considering copying the smb.conf file from the
> > PCLinuxOS livecd that's up and working over to the Fedora box
> > just to see if that does it,
>
> don't consider. do. rename your old smb.conf first.
>
> samba's testparm while tell you {us} what samba is seeing about the conf
> file, so just do it. includes warnings about deprecated parameters etc.
>
> > but, that may not since I'll bet
> > Fedora is running a newer version of Samba
>
> you could post those versions for interest....

OK, I did it. The version on the PCLinux box is 3.0.23b-PCLOS2007 and the one
on Fedora is 3.0.28a-0.fc8. The result is interesting. Now, smbk4 on Fedora
is listing both the machine's IP addresses upstairs, and their shares, but,
it's still unable to mount those shares...some progress, tho.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA