Samba won't dance (more info)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 12:10:56 UTC 2008

On Mon April 14 2008, Craig White wrote:
> > > You can ping each of these systems from the Fedora box?
> >
> > just tried this and no, the machines that don't display their IP or show
> > their shares aren't responding to pings
>
> ----
> clue here Claude...this isn't a samba issue

well, the problem is, the importation of the smb.conf file from the PCLinuxOS
box seems to have gotten things working -- at least, it was after that that
things worked; I did a number of things last evening, and I've noticed that
sometimes, changes you make to Samba networking don't 'take' instantly, even
when you restart smb and nmb services; I did also swap out the cable last
night, but immediately after doing that, there was no change

the only remaining problem is that mounting is messed up - I can't mount my
shares from the Fedora box, even though they mount readily from the PCLinuxOS
machine, but at least now, all machines that are up on the lan are showing up
in the list, and all their shares are visible

so, how does this all compute with the inability to ping? - I just don't know!
I said I wanted to really figure out what was causing these problems,
yesterday, but, I don't feel any closer to that understanding than I did
before I started all this.....

I need to go through those two smb.conf configuration files and see what's
different, for one thing -- that should tell me something.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA