Samba won't dance (more info)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 15:09:03 UTC 2008

On Tue April 15 2008, Craig White wrote:
> you don't actually expect people to parse that do you?

I stated why I did it. I'm glad to do it your way. Here's the current:

workgroup = MDKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server %v
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    printcap cache time = 60
    printing = cups
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    map to guest = bad user
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    dns proxy = no
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    create mode = 0700
    use client driver = yes
[print$]
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    write list = @adm root
    guest ok = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
[pdf-gen]
    path = /var/tmp
    guest ok = No
    printable = Yes
    comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
    printing = bsd
    print command
= /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
    lpq command = /bin/true

*******************************
and the original Fedora

grep -v '#' /etc/samba/smb.conf.original | grep -v ';'
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        ldap ssl = No
        restrict anonymous = no
        domain master = no
        wins support = true
        dns proxy = no
        cups options = raw
        max protocol = NT
        default service = global
        acl compatibility =
        server signing = Auto
        security = share
        preferred master = no
        max log size = 50
        workgroup = workgroup
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        read only = no
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = yes
        printer name = HPLaserJet
[cj]
        path = /home/cj
        guest ok = yes

> testparm -s > /tmp/smb.conf.txt
>
> and upload that
>
> or..
>
> grep -v '#' /etc/samba/smb.conf | grep -v ';' > /tmp/smb.conf.txt
>
> But I'm telling you that if you can't reliably ping and nmblookup (which
> is somewhat similar to a ping), you're wasting your time here.

It would not surprise me that the whole problem is something I've completely
missed. In my now currently, seemingly, working setup, I just discovered that
even though the smbk4 utility can identify all the machines, their ip
addresses, and their available shares (still un-mountable), on the lan, I
still can't ping one of those machines!

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA