Samba won't dance (more info)

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 15 16:33:53 UTC 2008

On Tue April 15 2008, Craig White wrote:
> nothing monumental sticks out but I would probably drop the SO_RECV and
> SO_SND socket options unless you have specific knowledge of them being
> of a benefit...
>
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html#id268
>7166
>
> Craig

I've fixed the ping problem. It turned out that studiopc which is running the
Comodo firewall was treating the LAN as an untrusted zone. I changed that and
ping is now working to that machine. Nothing else has changed as a result,
but, my mount problem is probably unrelated. There are still those many
questions. What changed between the configuration from the PCLinuxOS box and
the one from Fedora that resulted in partially solving the problem? I still
have a problem seeing anything on my Fedora box from the Windows machines,
which I haven't mentioned before, since there was so much other stuff going
on. This whole exercise was brought on by my wish to share my HP laser
printer on my Fedora box with the Windows machines on the network. I've
gotten it to work before, though not for a good long while now. None of my
Windows boxes see the Fedora box right now, and therefore don't see the
printer...

Sidenote: I just brought up my F9 beta on the same box I had been running the
PCLinuxOS cd on, and tried browsing the LAN with smbk4 - it finds nothing.
Checked to see if the smb service was running and it was unrecognized. I'll
pursue this later. I did open the new services window to see if I could turn
on smb there before I checked from the command line, and it seemed to be
informational only - no services that weren't running were shown, and there
seemed to be no setting that would show available services and no way to turn
on or off anything that was displayed...

And, thanks for your help - I will take a look at that socket options stuff -
those were just the default options that were set in the PCLinuxOS package...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA