Boot option question

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Apr 15 18:08:46 UTC 2008

Patrick Baldwin wrote:
> I'm guessing this is an easy one, but I can't seem to figure out how to
> ask Google right.
>
> I just set up a dual boot Windows XP / Fedora 8 system.
>
> I downloaded Fedora Core 8 i386 from the website.  When installing,
> I modified the partition table to have a /home and a /share, but
> that's the only changes I thought I made.
>
> Everything seems to work fine now, except when I go to the menu
> that allows me to select what to boot into, I was expecting to
> find only XP (which was Other, until I changed it in grub) and
> one Fedora option; I instead have two Fedora options, listed
> as:
>
> Fedora 2.6.24.4-64.fc8
> Fedora 2.6.23.1-43.fc8
>
> Why?

Just out of curiosity, did you do a 'yum update' at some point on the
reboot?  Normally that's how you get more than one kernel option listed.
  I think (someone clarify this if I'm wrong) the default yum update
option for kernels keeps the 2 most recent ones in /boot (and grub) in
case the latest kernel doesn't work on your hardware for some reason.

HTH.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support