Samba won't dance (more info)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 15 20:11:05 UTC 2008

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue April 15 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> You may want to set it up as an IPP printer on the Windows boxes,
>> and print directly through CUPS on the Linux box.
>
> geometry/use patterns don't work
> my laptop has no parallel port
> the other Windows box down here (basement) is mostly not turned on, or is
> booted into Linux of one flavor or another (used for testing)
> don't want to move the printer upstairs for lots of reasons
>
> or are you saying something different? - the printer is currently on the
> Fedora box - I've always shared it from there, which is what I was trying to
> do when I got into this whole Samba troubleshooting exercise

IPP is something like Internet Print Protocol. When you set up a
printer in Windows, at least with XP and Vista, you can chose IPP as
the "connection type". For example, I have a Brothers network
printer that uses ipp://192.168.1.101:631/ipp in both CUPS and
Windows. Exactly what your Linux box will be under CUPS will be
somewhat difference, depending on what you named the printer. The
only drawback is that you either need a static IP address for the
Linux box, or have a name server running that will let you use the
name of the Linux box. You also have to tell CUPS that you want to
share the printer, but I think that is the default.

I also have a laser printer attached to my desktop that is shared
that way, but I don't have my laptop fired up in Windows right now,
so I can not give you the exact setup.

Mikkel