Hosed Grub with the push of a button

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:24:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Bill Crawford
<billcrawford1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/04/2008, max bianco <maximilianbianco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I'm willing to try it but i'm not really sure what your suggesting.If
>  >  i exit from the chroot and grub-install how will it write to the
>  >  appropriate place? At this point all the user data is recoverable and
>  >  i'd like to keep it that way but if in the course of learning I hose
>  >  that too, well i'm willing to take the chance but i'd like to avoid it
>  >  if possible.
>
>  If you're certain it's merely grub that's the problem, try copying the
>  grub rpm into the system image, and re-install it. Or first try rpm -V
>  in the chroot, to see if that gives any hints.
>
>  --

Well I did start in the middle or rather I eliminated many (i felt at
10:30pm)unnecessary details. The dell laptop used to have XP
installed. There is a button called the Dell Media Direct Button, its
about 2 inches to the left of the power button. I pressed
it(unintentionally) instead of power  and subsequently it went looking
for windows and didn't find it. It hosed the graphical grub. I
rebooted and got a grub terminal. That wasn't getting me anywhere, i'm
not terribly familiar with the grub terminal, i tried for a while.
That's when I broke out the rescue disk and tried what I mentioned
above.

Max