Am I blacklisted?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:47:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 05:57 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Evolution seems to write the statuses on exit, and if it doesn't exit
> >> nicely, the last set of statuses that should change, aren't changed.
>
> Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > Evo updates status when you change folders (or exit cleanly). This is
> > a pain sometimes but that's how it is.
>
> I've taken to pressing CTRL+E (expunge current folder) every now and
> then, as I read through the mail.  That will delete messages marked for
> deletion, and seems to properly write statuses, at the same time,
> without having to mess about with changing folders, or hoping that
> Evolution doesn't crash while exiting (which it does a lot, here).

AFAIK syncing while expunging is not part of Evo's defined behaviour.
The version you use may do it but it's not something you can reply on.
I've asked about this on the Evo list and the opinion seems to be that
changing folders or a clean exit are the only guarantee. Several people
have asked for an explicit "sync" button but it hasn't happened yet.

> I only persevere with it as all the alternatives that I've tried are
> even more annoying than Evolution (for a variety of reasons).

Ditto. One of my pet annoyances is the lack of a clear specification for
this kind of thing (an Evo "Principles of Operation" if you will), but
as you say the alternatives are worse. Try and figure out *exactly* what
the various deletion options in Thunderbird really mean, for example.
You won't find it anywhere in the (almost non-existent) documentation.

poc