Three out of Four Isn't Bad

Scott R. Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 17 01:05:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I just popped another 2GB in my development machine, 2GB to 4GB RAM, and only
> 3GB shows. Yes I looked at the 820 output, yes I tried PAE kernels, yes I
> checked the BIOS to see the the hole options were tried, other thoughts.
>
> FC6 running 2.6.22.14-72.fc6PAE, also 2.6.24.4 kernel.org build.
>
> dmesg hopefully attached if it doesn't get stripped again.

One thing I learned about memory management is that some systems, like
Dell, may take a 1 GB for video and other system memory.   Thus, you can
have 4 GB installed, but only 3 GB will ever be available for your use.

You should review the details of your system/motherboard to see how it
allocates memory.

Scott