Samba won't dance [Solved - sort of]

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 02:58:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 06:46:56AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 09:39 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
> > Claude Jones wrote, On 04/17/2008 08:22 AM:

> > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > I can't declare victory. I am now networked, but, I don't feel like I know
> > > much more about why than I did before. For example, sometime during the
> > > period after solving the problem of one of my machines on the lan not
> > > responding to pings, even though it was being elected as the master browser!,
<snip>

> > > Thank you to everyone who offered help on this problem
> > >

> > As it seems that turning off the firewall seems to be all that is needed to
> > get it going again, then I would suggest doing a tcpdump/wireshark session
> > tracking everything between the fedora machine and the machine that is
> > refusing to connect...AS you shut off the firewall and until it works again.
> >
> > Then pore over the dump of data until your eyes bleed. (or at least that's
> > what I would have to do... :)
> ----
> or open ports 137 & 138 because that would be significantly easier and
> according to his firewall listing...they aren't open.

I was just wondering that system-config-network is geared for such kind
of doubt clearance regarding services-> ports. Just checked it to be
double sure before commenting, the gui does mentions the ports required
to be opened for Samba among all the other major system services.

When in doubt, I save my customised iptables file. Recreate it through
the systems facility and check it manually to see if I am headed in the
right direction. This solves lots of headaches later on.

Just my advice how I go through such tight corners.
--
vikram...
--
Every creature has within him the wild, uncontrollable urge to punt.
		-- Snoopy