Samsung printer woes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 18 11:40:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:19 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> Ok, (we're going off the point a little here) so you're about tell a
> manufacturer who is willing to cooperate with OSS and provide drivers
> to shove it where the sun don't shine because of a system which for
> all purposes that I can see here does squat?
>
> We want manufacturers to cooperate to get people away from the shit
> made by M$ which causes us a lot of grief by being zombified and
> attacking linux systems, choking networks and systems, etc. Making
> life difficult for them is not a good thing...

That's exactly the sort of thing that SELinux is aimed against.

You gave a rant, you're getting a strong response about that back.  You
can rant, or you can do something more useful.

For what it's worth, SELinux isn't something peculiar to Fedora.
There's quite a few distributions that use it, you and they will have to
get used to it.  Just the same as manufacturers had to get used to
firewalls, not telling users to turn off their anti-virus, not telling
users to run as admin, expecting drivers written badly for Win2000 to be
acceptable for XP, etc., etc.

Now that's out of the way, consider the other things I mentioned (error
reports, information about what you've actually done), and reply to that
message, with useful information for diagnosis.  The guy who takes care
of CUPS is on this list, and will be helpful if you are.

However, if the manufacturer is just putting out crap, and is only
interested in putting out crap, the next move will be yours alone.
There are other systems which appear to "just work," and are also just
full of problems.  If you want quality (presuming this is why you're not
using Windows) fight for it, don't just try for the easiest way out.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.