low power tv

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 18 12:48:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 06:34 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:
> I want to use the switch to digital transmissions coming in February
> of next year, to get everyone on the community wireless network
> (intranet) to do the AT&T video phone vnc thingy.

If you want more than a group of about five locals being able to do it,
you need to put a lot of money into putting hardware everywhere, so that
people could use it (that's access points everywhere outdoors, and base
stations everywhere indoors), then a lot of money into education and
marketing so that people can and will use it.

The phone companies, et al, already do that.  It can't be done for free,
it will cost lots of money (hardware, electricity, people), and as soon
as you find someone able to invest the necessary money, they'll be doing
so to make a return on their capital, just the same as the other
organisations that you're hoping to avoid (making as much money out of
it as they can).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.