Problem with sata2 and raid1.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:52:14 UTC 2008

On 18/04/08 07:00, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:39:08 +0200,
>   "Erik P. Olsen" <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK. I'll play around. I just need an answer to one question to get started.
>> In my box I have two IDE disks and two sata-2 disks. I'll leave the
>> IDE-disks untouched and install next fedora version on the sata disks in a
>> raid 1 configuration. Now, when I do the system install how do I teach
>> anaconda to read and write the sata disks?
>
> Assuming you want normal software raid and not the dmraid, then you should
> turn off raid for those devices in the bios. It might be a later step in
> the boot process if its an addon card that has its own bios. That should
> allow anaconda to see them as two separate disks. You'll need a /boot
> partition that can be raid 1, but can't use encryption or lvm, and the
> rest you do however you want.

The problem is that I don't know what I want except I want raid 1 and I haven't
yet found out what the difference is between dmraid and what you call "normal
software raid". I plan. however, in the near future to install fedora 8 on my
IDE disks and then play with my sata disks in installing fedora 9 in different
sorts of raid configurations. I hope that will teach me what the best solution
will be for me.

--
Erik.