2 IPs on one nic

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Apr 18 19:04:08 UTC 2008

Patrick Derwael wrote:
> Hi list
>
> Can someone tell me how to add a 2^nd IP adress to a nic and ensure that
> 2^nd IP is kept after a reboot
>
> Tried ifconfig eth0 add aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, but the IP is dropped after reboot
>
> Any idea ??
>
> Thanks !

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but maybe this will help:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name> and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name>:<alias-name>:

   The first defines an interface, and the second contains
   only the parts of the definition that are different in a
   "alias" (or alternative) interface.  For example, the
   network numbers might be different, but everything else
   might be the same, so only the network numbers would be
   in the alias file, but all the device information would
   be in the base ifcfg file.

This is from /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.60/sysconfig.txt

Mikkel