2 IPs on one nic

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 21:56:53 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Patrick Derwael wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to add a 2^nd IP adress to a nic and ensure
>> that 2^nd IP is kept after a reboot
>>
>> Tried ifconfig eth0 add aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, but the IP is dropped after
>> reboot
>>
>> Any idea ??
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
> I am not sure what you are trying to do, but maybe this will help:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name> and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name>:<alias-name>:
>
>   The first defines an interface, and the second contains
>   only the parts of the definition that are different in a
>   "alias" (or alternative) interface.  For example, the
>   network numbers might be different, but everything else
>   might be the same, so only the network numbers would be
>   in the alias file, but all the device information would
>   be in the base ifcfg file.
>
> This is from /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.60/sysconfig.txt
>
> Mikkel

I assume its like creating a sub-interface(i think that's what its
called) on a cisco router. I have limited experience with cisco stuff,
maybe someone will chime in and fill in the blanks. Anyway its not hard
to actually do it on a "real" router, just a handful of terminal
commands is all it takes. Now if I could just remember them all, the
command completion on a cisco router is pretty effective though.

Max