RHEC

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 03:22:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:24 -0400, max wrote:
> Randy Easley wrote:
> > To whom it may concern:
> >
> > I would like to begin a career as a red hat engineer. I have used linux
> > for a few years and my company has decided to send me to red hat
> > classes.
> >
> > I wondering how to best prepare myself and get an early jump on a new
> > life. I've thought of joining Fedora as a tester also.
> >
> > If anyone has been down this path or has just started, can you please
> > direct me to some references and maybe a great way to get started for
> > the red hat exams?
> We
> make our own luck. Keep your eyes and your ears open and just because
> someone, anyone else says so, doesn't make it so. Let the force be with you.

Exactly. Back when Linux wasn't as difficult as it is now, and the
biggest problems where plain ole networking and IRQ's (plug-in-play)
someone at RedHat referred me. I spent a great deal of free-time on the
Caldera List and a lot of people knew me. That was back in the Bob Young
days, with tie dye tee shirts, purple hair, roller skates, several
pinball machines and Quake Fests, as soon as the suits left around 6PM.
Even in my native industry, Chemicals and Marketing, it's usually who
you know. So, make yourself known.

Volunteering on this list is excellent, especially if you know your
chops. Heck, I'm struggling now with all the new stuff and I'm hitting
58 <---loosing more frontal lobe material every day.

If you're relatively young, take those classes and study your ass off.
It's certainly more difficult now than then, so learning by the seat of
your pants won't cut it anymore. Find a niche and stick with it. VoIP is
a biggie now. Java will be too, once RedHat stops screwing with it.
There's evil associated with Mono and C#, so it might not pay to
associate with it. Anyone feel free to correct me on this.

High end 3D graphics is IT right now, as well. Like I said, study
everything, but focus on a niche and do very well with it, so you'll get
noticed and hopefully hired. OR! Stick with your niche and make a buck
off of it for yourself and screw working for someone else. Keep all the
money! RedHat will still take you out for a very nice dinner. <grins>
OR! Buy up a lot of their stock. Then you can pick your own job and
office view. <chuckles> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar