Samba won't dance [Solved - sort of]

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Sat Apr 19 15:47:01 UTC 2008

On Saturday April 19 2008 11:01:42 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008 06:30:38 Claude Jones wrote:
> > I've also used Shorewall which was capable enough - just
> > preferred the other two
>
> Are there any problems installing shorewall when iptables have
> already been set up by system-config-firewall?  I installed
> shorewall a long time ago, and seem to remember that I had to
> jump through a few hoops to disable previous settings before
> shorewall would work.  It did work, though, perfectly once I
> got to that point.
>
> Anne

Can't remember with Shorewall. With Firestarter or FWBuilder, you
disable the iptables service. Firestarter starts as a service
and is defaulted to start when you install it. If you have
iptables and Firestarter services enabled to start at boot, you
definitely can end up with conflicts and 'piled-on' rules.
FWBuilder creates an executable script which you then run at
boot time - there are various ways to make that happen, but
again, you don't want to run that script on top of running the
iptables service - it's one or the other.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA