F8 update kills KDE

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 19:00:18 UTC 2008

--- Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 11:39 -0430, Patrick
> O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:09 +0000, Kevin Kofler
> wrote:
> but I tried KDE on Fedora
> It appears that is still
> not vocal enough...
> > >
> > > That's not true. What he ran into was just a bug
> (which should be fixed
> > > already, crossing fingers).
> >
> > It's true to the extent that many people
> (including RedHat people)
> > assume one is using Gnome, and most or all of the
> documentation also
> > makes this assumption, especially when explaining
> how to do stuff from
> > the GUI. It's fair to say that Fedora is a
> Gnome-centred distro that
> > *also* supports KDE.
> +1 for KDE!!! Ric

I hate to disagree with you guys on this one.  KDE is
also given equal treatment in my own humble opinion.
Fedora is so committed to getting working that KDE
4.0.3 is on Rawhide and while things might not be
trouble free in KDE, it is somewhat looking good.
However, most of the users here and some on rawhide do
not like KDE 4.0.X and they much rather have KDE 3.5.X
because it feels better, they are more acoustomed to
it and if they had a choice once Fedora 9 is released
would switch to Gnome or XFCE.  KDE 4.0.X is a more of
a resource hog not that Gnome isnt, but Gnome runs
faster and even though many people like KDE, once the
new Fedora comes out, they will look other ways just
wait and see.
They will start complaing flooding complaints to the
list.  I like KDE alot along with Gnome, but because
of some thing or other, in Fedora 9 I forsee many
complaints from Fedora users across the world against
it.  They might ask for KDE 3.5.9/pre 4.0.X because it
just feels better than the new one.

Regards,

Antonio

P.S.  I hope that the complaints do not happen because
developers do not deserve to hear the complaints, they
work very hard to make the software better, but for
many users the state of the new KDE is not as
appealing as the old KDE 3.5.X.  They would switch to
Gnome/XFCE in a heartbeat if they cannot get the new
KDE to do what they were used to before.