F8 update kills KDE

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 03:23:53 UTC 2008

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 12:00 -0700, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> > --- Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kofler
> here
> > > but I tried KDE on Fedora
> ctizen.
> > > It appears that is still
> are
> > > not vocal enough...

> bug
> > > (which should be fixed

> > > (including RedHat people)
> the
> > > documentation also
> explaining
> > > how to do stuff from
> > > Gnome-centred distro that
> > > +1 for KDE!!! Ric
> > >
> > I hate to disagree with you guys on this one.  KDE
> is
> > also given equal treatment in my own humble
> opinion.
> > Fedora is so committed to getting working that KDE
> > 4.0.3 is on Rawhide and while things might not be
> > trouble free in KDE, it is somewhat looking good.
>
> In no way did I want to:
>
> a) Say anything at all about KDE 4, because I've
> only tried it briefly
> on a Live CD.
>
> b) Start a discussion about the technical merits of
> KDE vs Gnome.
>
> If that's what you think my comment was about, I'm
> afraid you missed the
> point. I stand by what I said already. This is not a
> technical argument,
> it's about the orientation of both the Fedora docs
> (official and
> unofficial) and a fair amount of the traffic on this
> list. Unless the
> topic is specifically about some KDE issue, the
> underlying assumption is
> that one is using Gnome. In other words, Fedora is a
> Gnome-oriented
> distro that also supports KDE.
>
> poc
>
> --

Agree :)  Like Ric said this is not a KDE vs Gnome
discussion.  Although I expressed my opinion about how
things are going right now.  I know that your last
statement has very strong sentiments, but the tide is
turning and there are many users here that prefer KDE
and would not install Gnome for anything in the world.
 I cannot show by statistics that they are equal and
receive equal treatment, but I know that both are
being worked on hard by the developers and that yes

Fedora is a Gnome-oriented distro that also supports
KDE.  You should add that XFCE is also joining the
mix, thanks to Rahul who also produced a installable
Xfce livecd and shared it with us so that users with
slow machines could still install Fedora but not with
KDE or Gnome.  Throught these efforts Fedora is
becoming better and better.

Regards,

Antonio