F8 update kills KDE

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:09:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 23:01 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 01:40 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> > > Because the only way that the software becomes better
> > > is if we test it and report bugs so that they get
> > > fixed and in the end we will all win.  I guess the
> > > Fedora philosophy answers this question right away.
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > > What is Fedora? Fedora is a Linux-based operating
> > > system that showcases the latest in free and open
> > > source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to
> > > use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people
> > > across the globe who work together as a community: the
> > > Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone
> > > is welcome to join. The Fedora Project is out front
> > > for you, leading the advancement of free, open
> > > software and content.
> > > </quote>
> >
> > Good Lord, Antonio, I could have quoted that one by heart. So, I know
> > the deal, but if it is so crippled that it fails, releasing it on us
> > might not be a great experience. We do expect ~most~ things to work, in
> > Beta Fashion, but not as in Alpha fashion. Since I have not tried it, I
> > can't say from my experience, but others are plainly very unhappy, so
> > that makes me a tad nervous. Iron out the major stuff, then release.
> > IMHO. Ric
> ----
> Ric - you're missing a big point in order to make your own point.
>
> yes, if it's not going to work, there's no reason to go forward with it.
>
> But you're talking about a major version change of KDE and if Fedora 9
> were to release with KDE 3.5.5 it would be Fedora 10 before we see KDE
> 4.
>
> What Kevin made clear is that they are all over trying to fix things to
> make it as functional as possible on first release and see a lot more
> updates on the horizon which will be released as soon as possible during
> Fedora 9 lifetime.
>
> I'm a KDE user and eagerly looking forward to KDE 4 even knowing that it
> won't necessarily be the smoothest transition. I haven't abandoned the
> early and often release philosophy for Fedora...if I want stable, that's
> what I get with RHEL.

We agree then, I can handle a few bumps on the road, or the occasional
pothole. But, some were expressing fairly large problems. As much as I
love KDE, I hope and pray it'll be usable, is all. If Kevin needs an
additional week or even a month, none of us will die. I appreciate
everything that the team does, my point was that if they need a
reprieve, give it to them. Being driven by a calender must make them
crazy. It would me. Just showing "da love", ya know? :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar