USB devices dissapear: HAL shuts down on it's own

Ambrogio ambrogio.de.lorenzo at alice.it
Sun Apr 20 10:15:08 UTC 2008

Hi all
Il giorno gio, 10/04/2008 alle 15.19 -0500, Steven P. Ulrick ha scritto:

> In brief, the first three devices sometimes "dissappear."  The way that
> I used to find this out is that I would attempt to use one, and it
> would not work.  So, I would then, as root, run "lsusb"  The result
> would be that "lsusb" would hang and become a zombie process.  The only
> way to get rid of it, of course, is to reboot.
> Any attempts at accessing these devices after they have "dissappeared"
> results in at least one zombie process that I have to reboot to get rid
> of.
I have a very similar problem.
I'm running Fedora 8 with 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Mar 29 09:15:49 EDT
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Kernel now.
Starting from the upgrade to 2.6.24 I had this problem.
I'm running Fedora on an Acer Travelmate 5510 and I usually use only an
USB mouse.
The last problem was when yesterday I connected a card reader. All the
USB and the keyboard was powered off.
Only the reboot made things ok.

The same is with an external 2.5" HD.
If I start the PC with this HD connected, I can work for minutes.. but
at a certain point it goes offline, with some read error in the kernel,
and with the filesystem corrupted.

The strange is that with the 2.6.23.14-115.fc8 all works well for hours
without any problem.
So I think that something is bad in the new kernel.

--
Ambrogio De Lorenzo
Professional Services Manager

Tel:    +39 340 1832924