RPM Issues

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 20 20:28:53 UTC 2008

Mark LaPierre writes:

> Hey Y'all,
>
> I'm having a problem installing a package with rpm.  rpm is telling me
> that I need some dependencies that I already have.  Here's what I get:
>
> [root at mushroom Desktop]# rpm -ivh graphiteone-*
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libGLU.so.1 is needed by graphiteone-libs-1.3-1.i586
>         libstdc++.so.5 is needed by graphiteone-libs-1.3-1.i586
>         libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by graphiteone-libs-1.3-1.i586
>         libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by graphiteone-libs-1.3-1.i586
>         libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2) is needed by
> graphiteone-libs-1.3-1.i586
> [root at mushroom Desktop]#
>
> [mlapier at mushroom lib]$ pwd
> /usr/lib
> [mlapier at mushroom lib]$ ls | grep GL
> libGL.so
> libGL.so.1
> libGL.so.1.2
> [mlapier at mushroom lib]$ ls | grep libstdc

What ls tells you is completely and utterly irrelevant. If you did not
install a library via RPM, then RPM doesn't know anything about it. The
correct way to check a given dependency would be:

$ rpm -q --whatprovides 'libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)'
no package provides libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)

That's the answer you get on Fedora 8.

> How can I resolve this?

Always use rpm to install packages. Do not manually compile and install
anything yourself. Those graphiteone rpms are probably built for a different
Linux distro, and not your version of Fedora. You cannot fix this by
manually hacking things around, randomly.

To clean up your system and make it stable again:

* Remove everything you've installed manually

* Prepare and install rpm packages for everything that you want to install

Basically, once you've compiled and installed something manually, on a
rpm-based Linux distribution (not just Fedora), you no longer have all
of your software dependencies tracked by rpm, and you can no longer use rpm
to manage your system.