Firefox, flash, web page: Who's fault?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:34:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:
> I've been noticing this a lot lately, and I wonder where to point the finger:
>
>  A web page will have a row of mouse-over menus. That row will be located
>  on the page over an area with flash content.
>
>  If I mouse over the menu, the menu gets drawn underneath the $#@! flash
>  content.
>
>  For example, I just checked si.com and saw this happen.
>
>  Is firefox screwing up the window stacking order? Is flash screwing up
>  the window stacking order? Are web page designers ignoring something
>  they are supposed to specify? I don't even know who to blame :-).

You can easily debug this problem by disabling flash. Go to the
/usr/lib/firefox.2.0.0.1x/plugins or /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
directory, rename or move libflashplayer.so, restart Firefox, type
"about:plugins" in the location bar to verify flash is disabled, and
go to si.com to see if your problem goes away.