How to get Spamassassin and Postfix to work with each other

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Apr 22 10:59:43 UTC 2008

> Hello all,
>
> OK, I've got postfix working great on my system. But I hate the amount of
> spam coming across. I have SpamAssassin, but even though it is on (daemon
> running), mail isn't being filtered. I've done a Google search and all I
> get is answers that are confusing and/or not applicable to Fedora. Can
> anyone provide any tips? Thanks for any help!

Good morning, Gilbert.

Postfix, itself, does not interface with SpamAssassin, directly.

As noted, you can run amavisd, which will detect and use SpamAssassin in
its checks, but it's actually much simpler than that.

All you need to do is

 - Edit the /etc/procmailrc file to include this:

:0 fw
| spamc

:0 e
{
        EXITCODE=$?
}

   which will push each mail delivery through SpamAssassin

 - Then, in each user's .procmailrc, set up something like this:

:0:

   Which will cause procmail to a spam folder.

Alternately, you could use /dev/null, which would dump everything marked
as spam to the bitbucket, but it's not recommended, as SA does, sometimes,
mark false positives.  Until you've built up a large, solid corpus of spam
in your users' bayesian databases, for SA to compare against, it's
probably better to drop the suspected spam into a folder.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS