rpm -qa without results

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 11:19:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:40:47 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:

> 	Hi Antonio,
>
> 		You seem  to have some files missing.

> 		I don't know how you can generate them, though. I wish
> you luck getting things working again....

You cannot "generate them" if the entire database is empty.

However, you can reconstruct the database, provided that you have
scripting/programming abilities or if you find existing tools to help
you. In /var/log/rpmpkgs* you find the list of installed packages.  Based
on that list you can download and reinstall the packages with rpm and
options --justdb --noscripts --notriggers, but that is no method for Joe
User. You better install a backup of /var/lib/rpm instead.

What did you do with your installation around 2008-04-19 22:21?

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.42 1.20 1.12