RHCE

Randy Easley REasley at Teleflora.com
Tue Apr 22 13:22:49 UTC 2008

In one word, 3D. THAT is where it's gonna be. It's like getting in on
the ground-floor with Edison. I've been raving on this list for some
time and so far, either Croquet / Cobalt or Sun's Wonderland projects
are about all there is for both server -and- client ends with Linux.

Myself, Wonderland seems to be the winner. My buddy Les leans more
towards Cobalt. It's a toss up so far. Wonderland seems to fit more of
my own needs. It runs on Java so it's portable. Cobalt runs on Squeak
and it's portable. Wonderland has you doing VoIP straight off, out of
the box, but damnnit, it likes using IPv6 as well and that has turned
into a minor nightmare to use, plus finding the mythical font named
"FIXED". Jeeeez. Two lousy config problems are keeping me from 100%. up
and running. It's a 150 meg dnload, others are encouraged to give it a
go, to help me fix the probs! I know, selfish SOB that I am!!

OTOH, becoming an expert in 3D might turn into a lucrative career choice
and knowing how to do that free of YouKnowWho's M$ licensing schemes
will be an even bigger plus. I'd advise it. :) Ric

Thanks Ric.

I just didn't want to dive in somewhere and be guided to "cisco routing
classes" like they try to get you to take in high school or some
outdated program like they offer at college. I want the "big deal"
everyone talkes about for the future and I agree 3D is part of that and
I also am thinking of diving into a desktop application. My real passion
is websites and webservers. Problem is I have no clue where to begin.

Does anyone have a great story about their career in linux from newbie
to expert?