Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 00:40:43 UTC 2008

Yes, I Ubuntu/Canonical are based in Isle of Man (that Island between
England and Ireland) on paper. I believe they are actually in London
England however, and in either case, the recent EU decisions related to
software patents apply. The EU and US patent systems related to software
are mostly equal today, and yet Canonical still distribute these things.

Difference is, Ubuntu/Canonical are funded by one man, and are not
profitable today. Red Hat is a public company, and must make money.
Risking legal ramifications is not something Red Hat is willing to do,
however it is something Mark is apparently comfortable with to appease
his users.

It is those things though that halt growth on consumer desktops, so
until such issues are resolved, Novell and Red Hat will never appeal
much to Joe User. Technically uninclined people do not care about such
issues, they just want to play their media library, use their webcams
and other similar things, and have their games work.

Until Red Hat and Novell can answer these questions in a way that allows
them to profit enough to appease shareholders, they will never have a
good consumer desktop product offering. I think Ubuntu is
counter-productive to that goal though, they are just ensuring consumers
continue to not care, rather than trying to really inform them in an
effective way. At least they are providing Linux with more mind-share
though, that can't be a bad thing.