openldap + kmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Apr 23 13:52:31 UTC 2008

Is anyone successfully using openldap to maintain an address book?

As far as I can see, if you save kaddressbook data in LDIF format,
the resulting file has to be extensively modified
before it becomes acceptable to openldap.

Eg the DN of a typical entry in the LDIF file reads
        dn: cn=Andrew Ryan,mail=aryan27 at tcd.ie
which openldap certainly will not like.

What puzzles me about this is that the issue must be one
which occurs to many people.
How is one meant to keep a "global" address book under Fedora?

Incidentally, the KMail handbook claims that there is some way
of using MySQL with the address book,
but I have never seen any explanation of how to do this.