safely remove USB hard drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 23 17:14:34 UTC 2008

g wrote:
> Tom Diehl wrote:
>>> see 'man sync'.
>> How is that better then simply umounting the thing?
>
> from man sync;
>
> 'sync - flush file system buffers'
>
> in his post;
>
> } I've been using eject /media/* but that only happens to work because nothing
> } else is mounted there.
>
> therefore, he is either at command line or is in a terminal.
>
> by 'simply umounting the thing', he is not flushing buffers.

I though that the umount command flushed the buffers as part of the
process. At least that has been my experience in the past. One
problem I can see if it a conventional had drive, rather then a
flash drive, is that the drive itself may not have flushed its write
buffers to disk, but even the sync command does not help with this.

Mikkel