safely remove USB hard drive

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:29:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 20:17 +0000, g wrote:
> >
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > This is the purpose of "safely remove".
> >
> > being that i have not been able to get fedora to install from fc4 and above,
> > i use fc3 and md8k.0, just where is this "safely remove" coming from?
>
> It's an item on the right-click menu of the KDE desktop icons for
> mounted devices (I presume also in Gnome). Dolphin also has it as a
> button. From a Shell I guess 'eject' is the nearest equivalent.
>
> poc
>From GNOME you just unmount and if there is alot of data , like when I
transfer a 1gb of music to my player, it gives me a popup that says it
is writing data to device. Then when its done it says it is now safe
to remove. Those are the cues that I told my mother to use when
ejecting her IPOD, at least on those occasions that she can remember
how to do it, the rest of the time I have to drive over there ; ) If
there is not alot of data, maybe you just dropped a couple of small
files on a flash drive, you don't get any pop ups , presumably because
the write operation on it  takes as much time as reaching for and
pulling the drive from the PC. I have not had a write operation fail
to my flash drive or music player yet, doesn't mean it won't happen
someday of course.

Max