DI-LB604 load balancing router and /etc/resolv.conf

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 24 04:36:54 UTC 2008

I now have my load balancing router up and running on two modems, one cable
modem and one DSL.   So far, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be
doing.

(For folks who remember my earlier questions regarding this matter, I did try
to order that Xincom router but after much fiddling about was eventually told
that it is out of stock.  However, this Dlink DI-LB604 is supposed to do the
same thing.  It was also $30 cheaper.)

I have a question about /etc/resolv.conf in relation to this setup.

Each of my two ISPs have two nameservers for customer use.  For the sake of
demonstration, let's say that ISP A has nameserver 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 while
ISP B has nameservers 3.3.3.3 and 4.4.4.4

Now, the name of my internal network is melvilletheatre.net.

My /etc/resolv.conf from when I was using only one single ISP and a regular
(single WAN) router was as follows:

search melvilletheatre.net
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 2.2.2.2

When I set up this dual router, I changed /etc/resolv.conf to this:

search melvilletheatre.net
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 3.3.3.3
nameserver 2.2.2.2
nameserver 4.4.4.4

This seems to be working at the moment, but I know of at least one problem.
"man resolv.conf" tells me that there can be a maximum of three nameserver
entries so I assume that the 4.4.4.4 entry is being ignored.

My question is, is there a better way to set this up?  In addition to load
balancing this router also does failover, so if one of my connections goes down
things are supposed to keep chugging along anyway using the other connection.
It seems like this would be another factor in properly
configuring /etc/resolv.conf because as it is now if ISP A drops then I think I
have only one working nameserver entry left in /etc/resolv.conf at that time.