Delay between update emails and actual updates

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:28:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:54:36 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:

> Andre Robatino wrote:
> > Emails for the latest updates went out about one day ago, but the
> > actual updates don't appear to be on any of the mirrors yet - at least
> > not at
> >
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/
> >
> > (although I've noticed that the updates-testing directory usually gets
> > updated promptly).  This happens fairly often.  Why are the emails and
> > the actual updates so far out of sync?  Would they be closer together
> > if the updates were put on the mirrors first, then the emails went out?
> It finally updated after more than 24 hours.  I wonder whether the
> updates ever appear on any other mirrors first.  The emails shouldn't go
> out until the updates are on at least one mirror.

It's not just the emails. The automated bugzilla comments are added much
earlier, too. Bug reporters receive a bugzilla comment that an update was
made available, but it can only be found in bodhi in the "pending" list
for X days till packages are pushed actually. Then there's another
bugzilla comment but the repos aren't updated yet. Bodhi's bug tracker
is crowded with minor issues like that.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.32 1.54 1.16