Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 24 23:51:34 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I'd just expect fedora, given it's 'bleeding-edge' nature and close
> coupling with Red Hat to be the first place that RH-owned projects
> should be introduced and if it isn't, it seems like someone has dropped
> the ball.

Not really. A lot of development within free software happens async.
Upstream projects (even Red Hat initiated ones) are not necessarily tied
to the Fedora release schedule and in fact in most cases are not. Fedora
Directory server like I said is already part of Fedora. If you are
talking about JBoss, it is a relatively recent Red Hat acquisition and
many Java applications are not deployed in a packaged state but merely
dropped into the system from a cross platform archive (jar or zip files).

The current stable version of JBoss was developed and certified for a
older version of the JVM and JVM version details are a critically
important thing for many Java programs even minor variations between JVM
behavior can have a major impact in Java programs. The latest
development version of JBoss is IIRC developed against Java 6. So when
it gets stable, it can potentially be packaged within Fedora.

Rahul