DI-LB604 load balancing router and /etc/resolv.conf

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Apr 25 07:22:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:16:25PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:55:18 +0100
>> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>> I logged into my webserver and watched the log file while I loaded my website
>> and found that things are indeed doing what they should.  Every alternate
>> graphic (approximately) was downloaded by each IP address.  graphic 1 by address
>> 1, graphic 2 by address 2, graphic 3 by address 1 again, and so on.
>>
>> Now I can see that things are definitely going faster than they were when I was
>> using just one Internet connection.  In fact, it's damned impressive.
> I had this sort of setup as well {netscreen ssg20}; but I had problems with
> certain {usually https} sites that you would log into, then it would reject
> the next step in the process eg flight booking. The web site seems to look
> at apparent ip for each ISP and decide that the second ip is trying to
> spoof the connection {even though cookies, encryption all suggest
> otherwise}. Sometimes you might get further, depending ransomly on whether
> requests left via the same ISP.

Yes, some secure sites check that a 'session' is all from the same
IP.  My Vigor 2820n router has a specific setup page fpr addressing
the problem where you can make certain protocols always use a specific
WAN connection.  It mentions https as an example of where this may be
necessary.

--
Chris Green